Friday, August 1, 2008

Thing 7. Web 2.0 Communication Tools

I am an email addict, IM, and also text. I am familiar and have used all the other communication tools mentioned in this "thing" as well. I think they all have their strengths and weaknesses. For instance I love email for work and corresponding with my friends throughout the county. Yes, I like talking to people too but sometimes it's nice to just jot down a quick note and send it off knowing that you will get a response later on. I have used IM only at work, but see a lot of potential uses here. It's quick and easy to use. Texting is something that I am starting to use more, but try to avoid for two primary reasons. First, I need to pay for every text message I receive and send (I will be looking at this when my phone plan expires) and secondly my phone doesn't have an auto fill function. Yes I need to type out every letter, and will get a new phone in a couple of years as well. I have also attended several webinars as well and find them an efficient way to communicate to a geographically diverse audience. Just one reminder for webinar attendees, always use the mute button on your end. I don’t want to hear you shuffling papers or talking to a colleague.

It is interesting to see where we have come in terms of communication types/tools and it will be interesting to see where we will go.

No comments: