Friday, June 20, 2008

Thing 3. RSS

I absolutely love RSS! Out of all the web2.0 technologies this is one of my favorites. I created a Google Reader account over a year ago and have slowly added feeds to it since. It's so nice to log onto one place, browse the content and see what's new in the library world. Some of my favorite library blogs include OMG tuna is kewl, davidrothman.net, and The Krafty Librarian -- just to name a few.

The greatest challenge for me is to check my account on a regular basis (see previous post). Even if I don't check my feeds for a month and there are hundreds waiting to be read it's nice to know that everything is waiting for me and that I haven’t missed a post. One of the features that I love about Google Reader is the ability to share items with your friends. I see this particular functionality as a collaborative online environment, since it allows me to keep current, learn about trends I may have otherwise missed, and also see what interests other librarians. This is also a great way to see if a particular blog is of interest to you. If you use Google Reader try this out.

No comments: